13 Mar 7 essential leadership skills that all managers should have
The terms “manager” and “leader” are among some of the most frequently used words in business. Have you ever questioned what these words actually mean?
Are you a leader?
The fundamental distinction between a manager and a leader is that a leader doesn’t necessarily have to hold a management position in an organization. Leadership is a state of mind and a way of life. Leaders have distinct personalities that entice people to be around them. A leader tends to inspire followers, attract attention and will take a great deal of interest in helping others around also become leaders.
What makes a great leader?
Leaders can be discovered at all levels and fields of work. When one understands the skills required to become a great leader, it will likely lead to a management position. Good leaders share 7 essential leadership qualities according to the Chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International):
1. Vision: Great leaders have a clear, concise and passionate idea of where they are going and what they are trying to achieve! “Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world.” – Joel A. Barker
2. Courage: The ability to take risky decisions to bring one closer to their goals with no guarantee of success. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston S. Churchill
3. Integrity: This is the ability to act in an honest and transparent manner in every endeavour you partake in. People with integrity do not lie or try to dig themselves out of a hole. They take responsibility for their actions. “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.” – Bob Marley
4. Humility: Great leaders know their limitations and have the ability to rise above their egos. The ability to recognize the value of others without feeling threatened is a key leadership trait. This can only happen with the right level of humility. “Great leaders don’t need to act tough. Their confidence and humility serve to underscore their toughness.” – Simon Sinek
5. Strategic Planning: Having the ability to anticipate where the market is heading with accuracy is what is known as strategic planning. In competitive environments, only the organizations which display this insight achieve true success. “The marathon is all about energy management. I had planned to run it like a track race with strategic surges to blow up my competitors by putting them into oxygen debt, so that is the way I prepared.” – Frank Shorter
6. Focus:Great leaders are performance driven. They place their focus on what must be achieved by themselves and those around them. They focus on their inherent strengths and that of those around them. “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” – Greg Anderson
7. Cooperation:Great leaders have the ability to get people to work for them because they want to and not because they have to. Cooperation brings more passion towards the overall vision. “The keystone of successful business is cooperation. Friction retards progress.” – James Cash
We all have what it takes to make a change and become great leaders. When we are willing to listen, learn and grow anything is possible.